Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:44:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Ioannidis <ji@research.att.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP tunnels

Don't bother with SKIP; only Sun is interested in it. The IETF has a suite
of IP-layer security protocols (under the general name "IPSEC"), for which
there are multiple implementations, some of them free. For instance, there
is Angelos Keromytis OpenBSD implementation (based on a previous
implementations by myself for BSDI and another by myself for linux (yuck!));
I also think there is a FreeBSD implementation of IPSEC out of NRL, but
I may be mistaken.

In any case, using a security protocol just for the tunneling is an overkill.
If all you want to do is tunnel IP packets inside other IP packets, the
code to do that should take about a day to write. If no code is available,
and there is interest, I may hack something up over the weekend. Cisco has
their own tunneling protocol (I forget exactly what TLA they use to name it),
which I believe is just IP-in-IP (same as protocol 4) but I may be mistaken.
If someone can point me to documentation, I'll use it!

/ji

with "unsubscribe hackers" in the body of the message