Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:04:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Kiernan <mkiernan@kerner.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problem building release

Hello everybody,

Is there a way to build releases that includes info files while also
having your source tree located someplace other than /usr/src?  My
source tree is not located in /usr/src, and when I try to perform
a "make release" I see the following error:

    [...]
    ===> gnu/lib/libg++/doc
    cd /usr/src/share/info; make install
    cd: can't cd to /usr/src/share/info
    *** Error code 2

I tracked this down to the bsd.info.mk file in /usr/share/mk:

    # What to do if there's no dir file there.  This is really gross!!!
    ${DESTDIR}${INFODIR}/${INFODIRFILE}:
            cd /usr/src/share/info; ${MAKE} install

Before ripping things apart, I checked the cvs log and noticed the
following two entries:

    revision 1.39
    date: 1997/05/01 01:15:55;  author: jkh;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -1
    Put the "grossness" back; it had a purpose and anyone screwing around
    with these files MUST understand what a `make release' does before
    making changes like this or get nasty-grams from me when my builds start
    falling over.  In fact, if they can't test "make release" after making
    such changes then they *should leave these files completely alone*.
    Thank you.

    	[...]

    revision 1.37
    date: 1997/04/30 16:33:43;  author: bde;  state: Exp;  lines: +5 -1
    Removed gross dir file bootstrap rule.  Keep depending on the dir
    file so that we fail if it isn't already installed.  The bootstrap
    is now done by `make install' in the top-level src directory.  As
    well as being gross, the rule didn't actually work for src trees
    other than /usr/src, and this is difficult to fix since the whole
    src tree may not exist.

Seeing as how somebody attempted to fix this once before and it didn't
work out, I thought I'd better ask around.  So, without trading one
hardcoded path in bsd.info.mk for another, is there a way to build a
release without having my source code in /usr/src?  I've cvsup'd the
lastest stable sources as of yesterday afternoon (2/11/98 16:45) if
that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

PS.  Please feel free to direct me to one of the other lists if appropriate.

--
Michael Kiernan, Systems R&D, ILM            mkiernan@kerner.com +415-721-3284