Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:08:55 GMT
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Error: C: 1026 > 1023 (BIOS limit)

I added an 8MB IDE disk to my system with a SCSI boot disk
and FreeBSD splattered over various partitions on the two disks.
I added root partition 32MB, then a DOS partition of 2GB and after
that another FreeBSD partition. Don't know, though, in which order
the partitions were created. I was using sysinstall for this.

Anyway, now when I try to boot FreeBSD on the second disk (via
bootinst menu F2->F5) I'm getting that infamous
Error: C: 1026 > 1023 (BIOS limit) and the boot process stops.

This happens after the FreeBSD primary boot has appeared and after the

Boot default: 1:wd(1,a)kernel

boot:
Error: C: 1026 > 1023 (BIOS limit)

I always thought at that point FreeBSD has taken over the control
of the boot process and the BIOS isn't in the game anymore.