Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 22:18:01 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

Terry Lambert writes:
> > >  ... having the tools *force* people
> > >  to do the right thing whether they remembered to do it or not
> >
> > Repeat.  It is impossible given today's technology to force people to
> > make good commits w/out human intervention.  Reader/writer/llama locks
> > do *NOTHING* (!!!!) to make people do a good or bad commit, and only
> > serve to slow down the process with *NO* gain.
>
> There is still no empirical proof that this is true.

Sure there is.  Society and human nature.  Human beings simply cannot be
forced to 'Do the Right Thing'.  There is no way to force 'right
behavior' automaticaly.  Human behavior can only be modified if the
person desires to change, and that desire to change cannot be 'forced'
by any automatic tool.

If I want to break the tree, or even if I don't want to intentionally
break the tree but refuse to test compile my changes, no locking of any
kind will keep me from breaking the tree.

Your 'global' lock does *NOTHING* (!!!!!!!!!) to make the tree any more
buildable when in fact it is my poor coding skills/testing behavior that
breaks the tree.  The commit I did was a bad commit, and locking the
tree and then unlocking the tree after I finished commit doesn't
magically make it a good commit.

Sometimes your absolute silliness appears to be a lack of intelligence
at times.

Nate