Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 22:30:25 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DOSCMD: Ctrl-Enter doesn't work in Quicken

Mike Smith:
 |> Oddly, Quicken just doesn't see Ctrl-Enter.  "Enter" works, other Ctrl
 |> sequences work, but not Ctrl-Enter.
 |
 |Is this ctrl-enter or ctrl-return?

Well, in terms of keycaps, both the main block and keypad key are labeled
Enter.  And booting into MS-DOS directly, Ctrl-Enter in Quicken can be
effected by using either Enter key.

In terms of X keysyms though, the default "Return" keysym is bound to the
main Enter key here, and the "KP_Enter" keysym is bound to the keypad Enter
key (verified using xev).

 |> I guess this might mean that Quicken is relying (at least partially) on
 |> keyboard probes at the port level.  (I notice that Quicken sets its own
 |> INT9 KB intr hdlr when it fires up)
 |
 |Is doscmd delivering these interrupts?  It's possible that Quicken (for
 |some unknown reason) is keeping its own internal modifier state.
 |(Does it have onscreen key prompts that change as you hit modifiers?)

Yes.  I have printfs in int09 and see it being called for the Ctrl
press/release and the Enter key.  The right scan code/key code pair (based
on what I see in stand-alone DOS) gets stuffed into the keyboard buffer,
and the keyboard modifier byte in segment 0x40 is kept up-to-date.

No, nothing on-screen changes when modifier keys are pressed and released.
Other Ctrl-<Key> sequences seem to work -- something special about that
Ctrl-Enter.  Maybe the stacked INT 9 hdlr that Quicken's putting on top is
doing some translation.

 |> (Unfortunately, Ctrl-Enter is the only way to get out of the
 |> split-transaction dialog in Quicken 5, so I'm motivated to dig into this)
 |
 |Yeep.  Any more progress?

Not really.  I've been busy with other projects, and have just booted into
DOS the few times I've needed Quicken since then.  It's still on my
things-to-look-into list.

Randall