Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:36:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stewart@BITS.bris.ac.uk
Subject:   Re: Adaptec AIC-7895<>SMP w/Pentium II's

In regard to the Tyan Thunder 2 (S1696DLUA):

>         Yes, yes and correct! :) I've finally managed to get the above setup to
> work (thanks to all those who posted replies!)
>
>         There are a few catches (aren't there always):
>
>         1) You'll need the CAM SCSI layer (ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam)
>
>         2) and for that to work, I needed the source tree from 25th Dec 97
>                 (ftp://src.doc.ic.ac.uk/pub/unix/FreeBSD/3.0-971225-SNAP).
>
>         BTW, if you want to boot with the SCSI support, you'll need the boot images
>                 (ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/incoming/cam-boot.tgz).
>
>         Hope this is of use!
>
>    Apart from that, things now seem to be going swimmingly! :)

Do you have AMI or Award BIOS on this board?  I seem to recall it
is available with either.

Is there any problem with getting the board to use different
interrupts with your PCI devices?  Does SMP work properly also?

[ I'm considering this board along with the similar ASUS PII
  Dual CPU with Adaptec SCSI also ]

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org