Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:28:58 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Niklas Saers <beren@saers.com>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Subject:   Re: miroMEDIA PCTV and Matrox Millenium

Eivind Eklund:
 |I'm running with a couple of Fxtv patches; I'll let you have them if
 |you have any problem.

Is this just for the sound mux (3-bit) issue with the sound driver, or do
you have some other ones you needed too.

What was the resolution on that sound driver interface issue by the way (or
do we have one)?

Niklas Saers:
 |                     And another thingy, what's 'Direct Video not
 |supported by visual...using XImages'? The Matrox Millenium does support
 |Direct Video. Is this a problem with the Matrox driver in X11?

It means that that either:

    1) you're not running in a direct color mode (e.g. 8bpp),

    2) the inferred RGB pixel format of your frame buffer does not match
       one of the RGB pixel formats supported by the Bt848 & Bt848 driver, or

    3) that the XF86_DGA extension isn't supported on your display.

Try "fxtv -debug startup".  If you don't see something about "...DGA...failed"
then XFree86 DGA extension is supported on your server/version/card/mode in
some form.

Assuming it is supported, you can try upgrading to XFree 3.3.1 (if you're
not already running that.

Also, try fiddling with the byte swap flags in your Fxtv resource file:

     Fxtv.bswap2Bpp:          true
     Fxtv.bswap3Bpp:          true
     Fxtv.bswap4Bpp:          true
     Fxtv.wswap4Bpp:          true
     Fxtv.disableDirectV:     false

Just fiddle with the one or two relevent for your color depth (for
bpp15/bpp16, fiddle with 2Bpp; for 24bpp, fiddle with 3Bpp or 4Bpp).
Change false to true and vice-version.  Also, if firing up 24 or 32bpp,
try fiddling with the appropriate one of these.  Valid values would be "3"
and "4":

     Fxtv.Bpp24bit:           3
     Fxtv.Bpp32bit:           3

There are a few Milleniums out there folks are doing direct video on
(Amancio, etc.)  Maybe they can give you some tips (right swap,Bpp
settings, etc.)

 |> ... og hvor ligger så Persbraten?
 |
 |Persbråten ligger i nærheten av Hovseter i Oslo. :)

Es tut mir leid, aber ich hab keine ahnung was Sie gesagt haben.

Niklas Saers:
 |Yepp, the above is my hardware which I thought running frame-capturing
 |under. But I'm a bit confused. Both dtv and fxtv make kind of horizontal,
 |dotted lines across my screen. They disappear when I switch to other
 |applications which update those parts of the screen. I get the message
 |'Direct Video not supported by visual...using XImages'. Has this something
 |to do with the lot?

If your server supports the DGA extension (but returns the wrong frame
buffer geometry), and fxtv decides to use DGA for direct video, you could
see what looks like dotted line trash across the screen.  However, if this
is the case, you "won't" see the "Direct Video not supported..." message,
so I'm a bit confused.  When you see this message, it means its using
XImages for image display, meaning you won't see any trash on the screen
unless there are bugs in your X server.

What X server/version is this?

Randall