Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:27:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Michael V. Harding" <mvh@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A 'make world' suggestion...

The following occurred to me while after doing a 'make -DNOCLEAN
buildworld' on a populated /usr/obj with only one file change:

for my system, (K6 200, IDE) the timing goes as follows for a 'make
buildworld':

1. ~2.5 hrs: a regular 'make buildworld'

2. ~1.5 hrs: 'make -DNOCLEAN buildworld' with an empty /usr/src/obj
   tree, including (parallel) removal of the old /usr/src/obj data.

3. ~1.0 hrs: 'make buildworld' with a populated /usr/src/obj

Option 2 is all I use - it saves an hour and does a complete build.
Option 3 is 'risky' and not worth the extra half hour.  Option 1
provides no benefit over option 2.

Could we codify option 2 with a -DQUICKCLEAN flag or something, where
the steps I do by hand are incorporated into the makefile?  The only
difference would be that a 'rm -rf /usr/src' would get done at the
beginning, and the rest would work like a -DNOCLEAN.

Also, could the following line be done at the END of installworld, or
of buildworld, so that it's possible to remove the object tree with a
simple 'rm -rf /usr/src/obj/*' ?

	chflags -R noschg ${WORLDTMP}/

The flags could be set in 'installworld' rather than 'buildworld', and
reset after the install...

Thanks,

Mike Harding