Date:      Sun, 01 Mar 1998 13:30:46 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Dmitrij Tejblum <dima@tejblum.dnttm.rssi.ru>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM: Process hangs sleeping on vmpfw

> > > Second, why don't put the operations to default_vnodeop_entries? It is
> > > used exactly by local media filesystems. Stacking layers use bypass
> > > routines instead (unionfs is an exception). So, filesystems even would
> > > not notice this change, until they really want their own implementation
> > > of getpages/putpages
> > >
> > > What is wrong in the above?
> >
> > Unionfs.  Specifically, the point is that the unionfs implementation
> > should fan out to the correct underlying implementation.  This means
> > it shouldn't go into the default.
>
> But you must write correct getpages/putpages for unionfs in any case.
> Or, better, make a bypass routine for unionfs, to avoid similar
> problems with future new vnode operations :-).

Unless I'm mistaken here the contention is between Terry's point of
view where all filesystems should be stackable, and Dima's where
filesystems may optionally make themselves stackable.

If I'm right, do we have a decision one way or the other?  And if so, a
*comprehensive* set of patches that cover the conversion>

I'm happy to fight the style-nit and getting-it-done wars, but I gotta
have the ammunition first. 8)