Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 22:43:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot manager w/ freebsd

> When there are three disks on the system, you can only boot from the
> first (no option to goto the second or third disk is given).
>
> Is this fixable ?

Yes.  You need to burn a new BIOS for your machine and up the drive
count from 2 to however many you want so that the BIOS will put the
right %dl value (ie: 0x82, 0x83, ...).

The problem is that boot managers can only load code via the INT 13
read interface, and your BIOS provides limits on the interface.

Some SCSI BIOSes don't have these limits, so if you are using SCSI
hardware, it may not be a problem.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---