Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 15:49:31 +0200
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports for X11 stuff

You, Jordan K. Hubbard, were spotted writing this on Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 11:47:45PM -0800:
> > 	I'd like to second this. It is a small thing, but for the sake of
> > consistency as well as good design I'd like to see it changed.
>
> Actually, this would be far from consistent - it would confuse the
> piss out of folks who've become more than used to /usr/X11R6 as the
> location for X libraries and binaries over the last 3 years.  Changing
> it at this juncture would only be a recipe for complete and utter
> chaos.

Then add a /etc/make.conf non-default flag to do this. It would decide
whether USE_X11 means /usr/X11R6 or /usr/local/X11R6. Then you won't
confuse anyone who's used to the mess that /usr/X11R6 is, and
you add an option to do /usr/local/X11R6 cleanly for those who do that.

This would be also useful for folks fiddling with X sources and rebuilding
all or part of the tree often. It also helps progress towards a
much useful setup with /usr/X11R6 being ro (currently probably
achievable with lots of hairy symlinks).

Currently, and historically, /usr/X11R6 is a mess. Doesn't mean it
has to stay so forever.

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/