Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 11:10:38 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

> Mike Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone decided what the aout to elf upgrade procedure will be?
> >
> > That's likely to come out of the bruises that the 'early adopters' are
> > going to wear, but I would say that the initial approach will be "set
> > BINFORMAT=elf and rebuild the world".
>
> You might want to be running a kernel that groks ELF with ELF shared
> libraries installed before you do a make world. Otherwise I can see a
> point where you overwrite an a.out program that is needed to complete
> the make world.

The kernel already groks ELF, so that's not an issue.

The buildworld target parks everything in the obj directory before
starting the installation sweep, and it installs in the order:

 tools, includes, libraries, stuff

The only real room for a gotcha is when the new make(1) and friends are
installed in the tools pass.  This could be comfortably handled by an
ldconfig at the start of the installworld pass that added the libraries
in the obj tree.  Taking them out of the cache again is left as an
exercise for the developer (reboot is probably easiest).

> Is 3.0 going to be like Linux and understand both
> executable formats?

Which planet have you been on for the last year or so?  Even 2.2 will
run ELF binaries.  8)

> Will the make world build both ELF and a.out
> shared libraries? Or will a.out basically die off?

a.out will be supported with a compat-22 distribution, and the tools
will still support it completely, but I would anticipate it being
killed as quickly as possible.