Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:55:31 +0200
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports for X11 stuff

You, Jordan K. Hubbard, were spotted writing this on Mon, Mar 02, 1998 at 01:45:55PM -0800:
> > Then add a /etc/make.conf non-default flag to do this. It would decide
> > whether USE_X11 means /usr/X11R6 or /usr/local/X11R6. Then you won't
>
> Why not simply redefine X11BASE then if that's what you want?  It
> already exists..

For at least two reasons:

1. It's a kludge, and that's definitely not what I want. /usr/local/X11R6
is _not_, logically, a X11BASE. A port may reasonably expect to find standard
header files at $X11BASE/include, etc.

2. As one of consequences of it being a kludge, during 'make install' with
such modified X11BASE, mtree will mirror /etc/mtree/BSD.x11.dist dir
structure under /usr/local/X11R6 - a sight neither happy nor useful.
One can define NO_MTREE, further kludging things up, of course... In
a clean solution, you would either add an mtree file for /usr/local/X11R6,
or invoke mtree on BSD.local.dist, or not invoke mtree, or do something
else I'm not bright enough for... ;)

I hope that sooner or later (sooner is better ;)) Xfree86 will change config/cf
directory to discourage imake from believing there's only One True X
hierarchy on the system. Then one'll be able to easily reroute all imake-built
ports to /usr/local/X11R6 or wherever; and I believe a previous discussion
showed that a lot of folks would be quite willing and happy to adapt to
this; but if the problem of non-imake ports will stay as it is, one
won't have an easy way to reroute all of _them_ into /usr/local/X11R6,
and confusion will reign ;) So what'd bad about one tiny non-default
/etc/make.conf switch, really? :)

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/