Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 19:27:06 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: silo overflows (Was Re: 3.0-RELEASE?)

On Thursday, 5th March 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

>> > I can tell you that uniquivocally XFree86 causes this to happen.
>>
>> I am guessing it is something to do with the S3 chip.
>
>But I didn't change boards when I changed X servers.  XFree86 caused
>them, XIG didn't.  The hardware was exactly the same, the only
>difference was the Xserver.

But do you have an S3 or a Matrox?  (I missed the bit where you detailed
your hardware configuration.)  If it is a Matrox and there is a special
"go easy on the PCI bus" flag in some deeply buried register, it could
have been missed by the XFree86 people but correctly set by XiG.

And to stick up for S3, I use 801 ISA, 805 VLB and Trio64V+ PCI based
video in various machines and have seen no serial port interference from
any of them.  But the borrowed Matrox caused silo overflow problems.

Stephen.