Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 1998 20:58:39 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VM/Buffer cache sizing... (e.g. for serving NFS)

I had some questions about the workings of the buffer cache in our
VM system.  Currently, it seems that although the size of the
cache varies dynamically, the maximum is still preset at compile
time.  Is this accurate?

The reason I ask, is that in linux, it seems to grow dynamically
until it reaches near the limit of your physical memory.  I'm
not sure how exactly it works, but can something similar be done
it FreeBSD?  If the limit were to be set really high though,
would it starve everything else?

When serving NFS to a large set of machines, it would allow for
the entire file set to remain in cache (at least in our case,
with 512M of ram.)  Is this type of thing possible?

Thanks,
Chris Csanady