Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:22:28 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: userconfig data -> linker set -> ELF segment

On Wed, Mar 11, 1998 at 07:44:27AM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >> This is hard.
> >>
> >> The problem is that you need to be able to agregate linker sets
> >> at run time, not at link time.
> >
> > You're making things too difficult.  8)
>
> Exactly.  Don't use a linker set at all.  Convert all drivers to
> LKMs, load they "probe" section of all LKMs, have an entry point
> in the probe section register the driver with userconfig.

This is not feasible at present.  There are several reasons:
	* The PCI LKM code in -current doesn't work
	  (AFAIK)
	* Depending on device drivers being LKMs lowers reliability (N
	  files that can fail, instead of just having a single kernel)
	* The probe is too late - userconfig (presently, at least) run
	  before anything is probed - to be able to stop harmful
	  probes etc.
	* It is more work than I can chew, and thus won't be done as
	  part of the minor set of changes I wanted to do.

I was only planning to make userconfig data a linker set, and change
config to (also) scan sys/conf/*/files.extra and
sys/conf/*/options.extra, as an enabling technology for externally
developed kernel parts.

> Linker sets are a pain.

Why more so than LKMs?  As far as I can tell, LKMs are presently more
of a pain than linker sets (though LKMs is also a more powerful
enabling technology).

Eivind.