Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:16:39 +0100
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, obrien@NUXI.com
Subject:   Re: *HEADS UP* Correction to previous postings.

As David E. O'Brien wrote:

> In light of the new mount changes, how should these instructions from
> Jo"rg be updated?
>
>     dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd2 bs=1k count=1
>     disklabel -Brw sd2 auto
>     disklabel -e sd2
>     newfs -d0 /dev/rsd2e
>     fsck /dev/sd2e
>
> Is the slice created by ``disklable .. auto'' always "s1"?

No, ``disklabel ... auto'' doesn't create any (valid) slice.  It
creates a bogus 4th fdisk entry, ``since this used to be so all the
time'', and since Bruce's slice code expected something like this
(IIRC) in order to accept the disk as a ``classic one'', i.e. one
without slices.

I hope Mike's changes don't start to unsupport non-sliced disks...  I
know of quite a number of people who'll scream then.  All this mess
started with the advent of the slice code in FreeBSD 2.0.5, and with
the suggestion ``If you fail to install FreeBSD because of geometry
problems, then well, install a small DOS partition first.''  That's
simply plain unacceptable (and looks very unprofessional, too), and
the intention behind my ``dangerously dedicated'' mode sysinstall
changes were simply to support the class of people who Just Don't Care
about any f*****ing fdisk table at all (since they don't need it, all
they need is a disklabel).

Note that ``sd2e'' could have two different meanings by now: it was
the partition `e' on the ``compatibility slice'' iff the disk has a
valid fdisk table.  Alternatively, it was the partition `e' on a disk
without an fdisk table.

Sorry, i haven't been following -current too close lately, just
returned from a vacation.  So i don't know the exact details of Mike's
changes, i'm just walking through tons of email.

--
cheers, J"org