Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:26:43 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A reminder of toxic -current

"John S. Dyson" wrote:
> Yes.  It is an extremely elusive problem.  Are you using SMP or UP?  Also,
> any info about your system config might be useful (so I can see how you
> are using your system.)  It has been difficult for me to reproduce the
> problems since my latest commits, but they still do happen.

I am using CURRENT on an SMP box. SCB's are hosed (I have an ahc),
so I disabled them; and the vx (ethernet) driver has a problem
where it suddenly starts r u n n i n g  v e r y  s l o w l y, But
I have no FS problems, and I reboot and FSCK after doing anything
vaguely large.

> Current is not stable enough for production use, and I want to make sure
> that no-one gets hosed.  Karl is helping regression test the system, and
> if you can somehow make the problems occur, it would be useful for me to
> hear how.

I hope I am not coming across as saying "it is not broken". I am not.

> If -current works for you, I am still concerned.  I would be misleading you
> and others if I stated otherwise!!!  I really do care about people getting
> messed up filesystems!!!

Thanks! Is my data point useful, though?

Mark Murray