Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 21:24:05 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doc "renovation" project volunteer

On Thu, Mar 19, 1998 at 12:55:55AM -0800, Studded wrote:

> Mine is not the only voice, however I'm coordinating the
> short term project on updating the FOO.TXT stuff that goes in the root
> directory of the CD.

Thank you for clafifying that.

> > A new mailing list has just been started for newbies. While the
> > documentation project is important, it is at least as important that
> > freebsd-newbies list be seen as something _for_ newbies to enjoy rather than
> > something to keep them either out of the way or doing useful work.
>
> 	I don't see how -newbies and -doc have any relationship at all. They
> exist for entirely different purposes.

Glad to hear you agree.

> > Having said that, I think that as a newbie I can draw on some of its members
> > to provide a willing documentation readership to give you experts some
> > feedback, so long as it doesn't overrun the newbies list in its formative
> > stages. We're an extremely sensitive lot and easily misinterpret.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You want to be in charge of
> picking people to review docs?

No, I'm saying that since I'm involved in both lists, I will be the
go-between. I was neither talking about being in charge of people nor asking
for your personal consent.

There are alternative methods, but the majority of people here would find
them extremely distasteful.

> Why can't members of the -doc team who want their stuff to be reviewed
> just post to -newbies and ask for help?

Because people like you will go in and talk to them the way you have talked
to me in the past. That is not the best way to obtain cooperation, as you
must have discovered by now. If newbies can't have a space that is their
own, where they don't have to suffer being someone's underling, then the
list would lose much of its value. We might as well all join -hackers :-)
hey that'd be fun!!

> > I have volunteered before to review any documentation that is offered, but
> > it would be even better to have more than one newbie perspective. What I
> > propose is to announce in freebsd-newbies when specific help is required,
> > coordinate that help, and report back here. On the flip side, if newbies say
> > they're wanting something in particular in the way of docs I can gather
> > their thoughts together, present them here, and report back to -newbies.
> > That way you don't get bored or annoyed by incompetence and they don't get
> > made to feel small or under scrutiny. Of course this doesn't preclude any
> > other methods, but provides a workable structure.
>
> 	Hmmmm. I know I'll be on the -newbies list, and I would suggest that
> anyone else seriously interested in producing documentation to be on and
> read -newbies and -questions. If we're not paying attention to the needs
> of the users, our efforts will be considerably less effective. Also,
> although you are welcome to present  your perspective on what those
> needs are, channeling input from various users through one person
> eliminates the chief virtue of soliciting various perspectives.

I think you misunderstand, Doug, but it doesn't matter much.
Those who are interested and have the time are already showing their respect
by watching silently. You are more than welcome to do so too if you believe
you have anything to learn from newbies.

> 	I don't mean to sound negative, but I can't help thinking that you are
> trying to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Ditto. Relax, you've got more important things to worry about.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more