Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 21:43:45 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wishlists (was Re: SCO (was Re: hi terry))

>I guess I have to apologize, then.  I was under the impression
>that things were a little more organized/structured.  I thought
>there was some core team who periodically met/communicated on
>what was what and where things should go, and how we should get
>there.
>
>So I am now curious about how FreeBSD maintains it's cohesiveness
>and direction.  If people are working on things which annoy them,
>then how are new features implemented?  Who decides what to add
>and how to add it?  Is it pure anarchy, with each person moving
>in the direction they personally feel they should go?

   I think Jordan and Sean summed things up fairly well, but I should add
that there is a fair amount of behind the scenes communication that does
provide some level of organization and structure. It does tend to be
somewhat sporadic, however. I've tried to make it my job to provide a
small level of coordination at times, and most of the core team put out
hints periodically about the direction we'd like to see FreeBSD go.
I think this is all that can be reasonably expected from an all volunteer
project.

-DG

David Greenman