Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 18:55:45 +0200
From:      Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr (Pierre Beyssac)
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual Interface Architecture

According to Ron G. Minnich:
> The challenge number I put to the extreme linux conference was this:
> "from user-mode system call instruction to first bit on the wire, 10
> microseconds".
> anyway, the relation of this to -hackers is that it would be neat to see
> freebsd get to the challenge number soon.

Just to get an idea of how fast it is currently, as an exercise,
did anybody try to measure how long it takes in 2.2.5 or -current
on a relatively fast machine ?

As a second exercise :-), how much does the TCP header prediction
stuff save us (IIRC it's only used when receiving packets, so that
doesn't apply to your challenge) ?
--
Pierre.Beyssac@hsc.fr