Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:51:59 +0100
From:      Timo Geusch <freebsd@timog.prestel.co.uk>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK version numbers

John, I'd also rather prefer to see the simple version number instead of the
one we currently have. The reason is that I'm using IBM's jikes debugger.
This one checks for the JDk version and refuses to work on versions prior
to 1.1.5. A bit nasty because I always have to include a special command line
option in order to make it work.

Actually, the DIGITAL UNIX port of the jdk has a nifty feature - java -version
returns "1.1.5", while java -fullversion returns something similar to our
current version. Makes life a lot easier...

Regards,

Timo