Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 22:47:16 +0200
From:      "H. Eckert" <ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 10:55:57AM +0200, Philippe Regnauld wrote:
> 	Suggestion:  how difficult would it be to have ipfw(8) respect
> 	the securelevel to, for example, refuse to flush / alter
> 	the ipfw list ?
>
> 	i.e.: all mods have to be tested before the securelevel is raised,
> 	and once it is, only rebooting into single user on the console
> 	allows you to change the filters.

Actually I like the dynamically adaptable ipfw scheme a lot more
than ipfilterd.conf on an Irix machine we have at work.  This is
a matter of flexibility.

> 	We need write-protect notch on the hard-disks :-)

There have been times where harddrives had this.  But somehow a
real switch seems to be out of fashion.  ZipDisks have only the
software write-protection...
Since I started using 90mm floppies I trained myself to protect
them immediately when ejecting a disk I don't want to write to
again a few moments later.

Greetings,
				Ripley
--