Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 16:54:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        kpielorz@tdx.co.uk (Karl Pielorz)
Cc:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (was Discussion : Using DHCP) - Now 'Config Databases'

Karl Pielorz wrote:
> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > If you use an API with get/set semantics, and it does the set as a
> > transaction, then you are not liable to corruption unless your
> > physical media goes bad.
>
> Ok - granted - Maybe we should be more concerned with 'applications'
> corrupting the database - and if so have a nicer way to correct it (Ok, read
> - 'anyway' to correct it) unlike Windows '95 / NT - in which the registry is
> largely seen as an unindexed black whole...

	more than once i have damaged my computer's configuration
	enough that i was unable to complete booting.
	only being able to edit the flatfiels saved me from having
	to rip out the internal disk and connect that disk to
	another machine.

	any registry or LDAP database or what have you, needs
	an ascii "save my ass please" mode.

	without that its a great leap backward into the abyss ;)
jmb

with "unsubscribe freebsd-config" in the body of the message