Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:18:00 +0100
From:      Matt Saunders <matts@easynet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems overwriting old BSDI disks?

On Apr 20, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Matt Saunders wrote:
>
> > We've upgraded a number of our machines to FreeBSD 2.2.(5|6) from
> > BSDI BSD/OS 3.1.  Each and every time we do this (reusing the old BSDI
> > hard disk) sysinstall hangs shortly after it runs, at the "probing
> > devices" screen.
>
> Are you sure it's hung and not reprobing the disks several times?  It does
> this on my laptop -- takes about 45 seconds to a minute to complete.  I
> don't have old UFS partitions laying around tho.

I don't think it's hung - I've left it a good 5-10 minutes to try to
sort itself out...

> > This is on pretty standard IDE-only hardware.
> >
> > The only solution seems to be to completely wipe out the old system
> > with something like DOS fdisk which works, but is a pain.
>
> Sort of -- it could be confusing sysinstall because it looks like a UFS
> volume but isn't quite.

We worked around this by zapping the boot sector of disk with MSDOS
fdisk.  If it's indicative of something not quite right in sysinstall
then maybe someone knows how to fix it. :-)

Cheers,
Matt.
--
  M a t t   S a u n d e r s