Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:06:10 GMT
From:      aggravator@aggravator.net (tj)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   my freebsd su has been compromised, now what?

OK, I admit it, I took the short and easy path, I had an irc buddy I have
known (on the
IRC)
help me with the dns setup. Nice, and it works, but, he also made himself a
backdoor to
root. I found the file(or did I?!?) in his home dir w/ the help of one of my
ISP providers.
 My ISP provider then proceeded to question me on if there were any more of
these /shx
files, and if "my buddy" had modifyed the login files and other stuff, and
if all passwords
were being routed to some machine in BFE, and just scarey scarey stuff. I
guess my
question is, how can I repair the damage(if indeed he has done any), or
better yet, detect
any damage. Or, do I have to start over, like my ISP friend recommends(he
also has a
preferance to lynix and redhat), and that I start over in lynix.
 thanx
newbie learning the hard way,
Tim (tj)
aggravator.net