Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 01:30:46 +0800
From:      Chia-liang Kao <clkao@CirX.ORG>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/6361: New ports collection: GNU Pascal Compiler

On Sun, Apr 26, 1998 at 01:31:58PM -0400, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> That's going to be a tricky port...
>
> I'm not sure if we have others that depend on system sources.  If
> you're worried about something, you should ask on the
> freebsd-ports list and see if there's an example to follow.

    I had taken some look on g77 as you suggested, before I made the port.
    According to the Makefile of gpc itself, it depends on more objects
    than g77 does, and that's why I copy the entire gcc tree or make
    symbolic link for it.

> Does the port replace the system `cc' or just use the system `cc'
> sources to produce the pascal compiler?  How easy would it be for
> the port to use gcc-2.8.1 or egcs?

    Certainly just use, and `make clean' will remove everything,
    and let everything go back to the original, except the
    chmod'ed files (configure, etc).

    AFAIK, gpc claims itself as a frontend of gcc, and only work
    on 2.7.2.1(for gpc-2.0, as 2.6.3 for gpc-1.x). but I believe that it
    means the files it needs, not the compiler being used to compile it.
--
Chia-liang Kao