Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 10:44:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Chris R." <gurab@lineone.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
Subject:   Re: Mouse Mats

On Fri,  1 May 1998 at 16:52:54 +0100, Chris R. wrote:
> ok heres the current situation: -
>
> I have found a local printer who can run off full colour (any
> mixtures) mouse mats with our chosen design.
> There is no start up cost, the mats are the rubber / fabric combo
> discussed and the minimum order is 100.
>
> The price I was quoted is £2.60 per mat to produce (thats two pounds
> sterling - i.e. UK) which is roughly four dollars thirty cents US
> ........ I think :-)

Does that include VAT?

> Anyway - I will go and see the mats first hand to check suitability,
> but otherwise is that ok? The price to buy will be calculated finally
> so as to cover all costs and perhaps to boost the coffers of FreeBSD.
>
> Questions
>
> 1. Is the price acceptable?

I wouldn't think so.  I'd guess that a good price would be in the
order of $0.50 to $1 US per mat in quantity.  This is a guess; does
anybody else have any ideas?  Certainly we can't use these things as
free giveaways at your quoted price.

> 2. Do we have a mat design yet - or would an improved version of the
> one at http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~gurab/FreeBSD/index.htm  be
> acceptable?
>
> There have been a lot of good slogans touted of late - perhaps one of
> these to be incorporated?

I would suggest that we don't put a slogan on the mat until a vast
majority is agreed.  That even goes for the official slogan ("the
power to serve"), which doesn't seem appropriate on a mouse pad.

> 4. Is the idea of upping the price to help FreeBSD acceptable, and if
> so to what amount?

Theoretically, I suppose so, but I don't see anybody buying even at
the price you have been quoted, and the costs don't stop there.

Sorry if I seem so negative, but I'm sure that we can get a better
deal.

Greg