Date:      Tue, 05 May 1998 11:28:00 EST
From:      "Chris Day" <the_reman@hotmail.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA-PnP w\o BIOS support?

>> I've just bought an ISA-PnP soundcard, but my old Asus 486SP3G BIOS'
doesn't

>boot with -c and use the manual pnp configuration instruction

There are however some cards which will refuse to admit to being there
when you do a PnP probe and can only be configured by proprietary ports
after the PnP config is done.  This is the case with my OPTi931 sound
card.  I don't have a PnP bios (old 486 motherboard) and no matter what
I tried I couldn't get it to init.  This is usually the case when the
card comes with a special init'er that is usually run under DOS or is a
s[ecial Win95 driver, and of course trying to reverse engineer it with
d86 just ain't working.

Anyway, to cut a long story short I went out and bought an AWE64 PnP and
it worked first time, (well the win 3.1 driver crashes! haw haw).
So my advice is, make sure that when you buy a card make sure you can
test it first and return it if it won't work.  Just coz it says "Plug
and Play" doesn't mean it's PnP.

regards, chris

p.s. cheers to luigi, who managed to get at an OPTi931 card to work.
--
Christopher Day, The reman, Loosecannon, Mortis, The Flatliner

E-Mail   the_reman@hotmail.com
Homepage http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/1218

when the rain/when the children reign/keep your conscience in the dark
melt the statues in the park - Fall On Me