Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 10:03:49 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Jim Van Baalen <vansax@mail.websidestory.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Appropriate 100bt NIC for NFS

In the last episode (May 06), Jim Van Baalen said:
> I have been having a lot of trouble with my freebsd NFS server. It is
> running 2.2.6-RELEASE and using a 3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI. I
> saw a similar problem with NeXTStep running on PCs years ago which
> was caused by limited buffer space on the NIC. I found an archived
> article from this list at
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=866806+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/1997/freebsd-questions/19970817.freebsd-questions
>
> that supports this theory. Can someone suggest a 100bt NIC for which
> there are freebsd drivers that has sufficient buffers for 8k NFS
> packets? I would prefer something with at least 32k of buffer space.
> Thanks.

We've been using the Intel EtherExpress Pro/100+ cards exclusively here
in clients and servers for the last year or so, with excellent results.
The 3com cards just became too much trouble to keep working (they
wouldn't even probe on some of our machines, Novell's Client32 wouldn't
work with the newer cards, etc etc).

	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com