Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 10:23:39 +0200
From:      Bengt Gorden <bengan@sunet.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Real Audio

On Fri, May 08, 1998 at 03:46:21PM +0000, eT wrote:
> Wyatt Nordstrom wrote:
>
> > Just a quick note on this topic. The posts got my curiosity up. I
> > downloaded and installed the real audio player version 3.0 last
> > night. Seemed to work well, except for my cheap sound card. Guess I'll
> > upgrade today. Anyways, I noticed that a lot of the Internet only
> > radio sites require the real audio player version 5.0. So, I travel
> > back to the real audio home page, and try to get the 5.0 version. It
> > appears that real audio has determined that for whatever reason, they
> > are not supporting real audio above version 3.0 for UNIX systems. This
> > is awfull. Of course, they offer the full complimentary ports for the
> > windows NT/95/3.1 family of operating systems.
>
> I also did the same research as you, but I found that version 5 HAS been ported to
> Linux.  I downloaded the rv50_linux file and got it to run on my 2.2.6-STABLE
> using linux_lib.  Only bummer was that I could not hear any sound... i.e. the
> player's little marker wasn't moving accross the horizontal bar.
>
> Any reason why this was happening.. I have a cheap ASOUND btw.

The same for me. The message I got from RA5.0 was: you don't have the
right codec for this. I actually stoped there. I don't have the time to
debug this anymore. But I do have time to complain to the support or
whatever they're calling themselfs. To contact realaudio you should fill
in a stupid FORM on the www.real.com. You can also try the DNS
registration email. Or you could try info@realaudio.com,
hostmaster@realaudio.com, postmaster@realaudio.com. I do belive we should
point out that we are a bunch of users who want this service.

Progressive Networks, Inc. (REALAUDIO-DOM)
   616 First Avenue, Suite 701
   Seattle, WA 98104

   Domain Name: REALAUDIO.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Black, Jerry Glomph Director Internet & Tec, nical Oper [tions]
(JB843)  black@PROGNET.COM
      206-674-2243 ext. 243 (FAX) 206-674-3588
   Billing Contact:
      Black, Jerry Glomph Director Internet & Tec, nical Oper [tions]
(JB843)  black@PROGNET.COM
      206-674-2243 ext. 243 (FAX) 206-674-3588

   Record last updated on 24-Nov-95.
   Record created on 07-Nov-94.
   Database last updated on 11-May-98 03:39:51 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   DNS.PROGNET.COM              205.219.198.34
   DNS-1.PROGNET.COM            204.71.154.5

--

/Bengan