Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 21:25:05 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
To:        fpscha@schapachnik.com.ar
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why aren't security fixes posted to security-announce?

Fernando P. Schapachnik wrote:
> *** A similar message has already been posted some days before. As I
> didn't received it, I assume nobody has. Sorry if this is not the case. ***
>
> Hello:
> 	I like to know if there is a good reason for not posting to
> announce or security-announce those bugs/fixes mailed to security.
>
> 	I'm not talking about open issues that may help an attacker, but
> about those which has a fix or workaround. In this situation we can find
> Niall Smart's "Vulnerability in OpenBSD, FreeBSD-stable lprm", Dima
> Ruban's patch to BIND related with "Re: Any news on this?: CA-98.05
> Multiple Vulnerabilities in BIND" and Vasim Valejev's "Example of
> RFC-1644 attack", just to quote a few I received in the past few weeks.

In general, security related patches are first applied to -current.
After about a week or so, they are brought to -stable. The an
advisory will be sent out. Why? Because an advisory without a decently
tested patch would upset users.
In general, when a part of the system is affected that we import from
another source, e.g. XFree or sendmail, I think it is not wise to reissue
a FreeBSD specific advisory as it might confuse more then it helps.
We do try to give feedback to users in these cases by providing a vendor
specific section.

-Guido