Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 10:44:33 -0400
From:      Aaron Jeremias Luz <aaron@csh.rit.edu>
To:        Jordan <jordan-k@usa.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux or FreeBSD for new user? (was Re: HMMMMMMMM)

On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 03:55:35PM -0500, Jordan wrote:
> Well I was very curious when I heard about your operating system. I have
> been looking for a powerful personal alternate OS instead of Windows 95.
> I have heard some good things about your OS and also Linux. (Those are
> what I have it narrowed down to.)

Well, I've wanted to add my two cents to this ongoing discussion
since I switched my home computer's OS from Slackware Linux to
FreeBSD.

> I have heard though, that linux is easier for a Unix newbie, like me, so
> I was wondering if you think that a expierienced windows user could get
> along? I have purchased a Linux redhat system from Walnut creek and it
> would not install, that is why I started getting interested in FreeBSD.
> So I will either buy a different Linux or get FreeBSD.

First of all, I'm concerned that you may be giving up on RedHat
too quickly.  Both FreeBSD and Linux require a certain amount of
determination to work through the grimey details.  Most of what
you learn installing and using Linux also applies to FreeBSD and
vice versa.  Unlike with Windows, you usually end up learning
something interesting with each hurdle jumped.  I find that very
rewarding.

> What can you tell me about it that would apply to personal use and not
> so much server use? I know that there are quite a few similarities
> between Linux and FreeBSD. So I would like some insight or opinion on
> the two in compare and contrast.

Hmmm, that really depends on what you plan to use your computer for.
I don't think anyone can give you a good answer unless you are more
specific.

> --
> J.O.R.D.A.N.
> ICQ# 7297792

ICQ, eh?  Can someone who has ICQ working under FreeBSD explain how
this can be done?

Happy computing,
Aaron