Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 14:43:00 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorillanet.gorilla.net>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   slice/devfs problem

Since devfs/slice had been added to LINT I adopted it to all
my boxes. No problem on two with single disk, dangerously
dedicated. On the the main server box, disklabel says all disk
end partition and 'c' partition extend past end of disk.

When I tried to use sysinstall to change the slice settings on
a brand new disk, it hung, sorry I didn't get debug messages. I
won't go into the file system corruption I got on unrelated fs's
( first time ever with FreeBSD ) but the new disk now is not seen
by /stand/sysinstall. Also fdisk can't find the slices either and
says it is using dummy parameters 1/1/1 and then it hangs.

I've got the corrupted file systems back by dumping devfs/slice
on the server and using /stand/sysinstall to delete, bring back
and newfs the file systems.

BIG question is how do I get fdisk to work with the new disk and
thus, let me use /stand/sysinstall to set the slice settings. The
weird thing is msdos lets me put a dos slice on this disk, no problem,
pfdisk shows the slices, no problem, and a boot floppy picks up the
disk to allow me to set the slices.

I'm holding off dedicating anything to this disk until I can get it
to look normal to fdisk.

Thanks for FreeBSD,

Tom