Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 09:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>
To:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Re: Using FreeBSD on Toshiba Satellite 105CS

Warner Losh writes:
 > In message <199805220111.SAA06086@antipodes.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
 > : This is odd; they work fine on most systems even without APM support
 > : enabled.  It's possible that there's something undesirable happening,
 > : but I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what it might be - those keyboard
 > : hotkeys are handled at a very low level, where nothing should be able
 > : to stop them.
 >
 > I've seen on my libretto odd things like this before I got the apm
 > device configured into my kernel.  Once I did that point (3) was
 > solved.  This is likely a good indication that doing that may solve
 > point (2) also.

I don't think the presence of apm is the problem.  I have the same
problems described by the original poster on my Toshiba Portege with
apm in my kernel configuration, apm is enabled, and running
2.2.6-STABLE.  (Fn-F5 doesn't toggle properly between LCD and external
monitor; screen remains off when using the BIOS screen saver.)
As for (3), this has never worked for me, and I was surprised to read
that it is functionality that others enjoy.  (Personally, I don't mind
pressing the power button to turn off the machine.)

-david.