Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 03:54:09 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, brian@Awfulhak.org
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: **HEADS UP** user-ppp has changed !

>> Access to a controlling terminal is revoked when its controlling process
>> goes away.  See kern_exit.c.
>
>Is there any way of avoiding this ?  Perhaps relinquishing terminal
>control up front, *then* passing the descriptor ?

Releasing a controlling terminal earlier just gives a dead descriptor
earlier.  Session leaders can switch the controlling tty (hopefully
only when switching is secure).

>The only other alternative is to keep a `/bin/cat' running - in which
>case I may as well do the `two /bin/cat' approach....  that way they
>get a SIGPIPE when something goes wrong and everything dies nicely.

Why would cat be the controlling process?  I'm not sure what the
controlling process is here.  If it's a login shell, then don't kill
it.

Bruce