Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 19:56:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: May 17th UP machine 'panic'

> > > syncing disks... 68 51 25 done
> > > panic: lockmgr: pid 26748, not exclusive lock holder 1 unlocking
> > >
> > > When I reported this the first time through, the comment had to do with
> > > multiple CPUs...except this is a UP motherboard...
> > >
> > > Does anyone know why I would be getting this, or if there has been a fix
> > > for it in the past 5 days that I haven't clued into on the commit list?
> >
> > Are you using quotas?
> >
> > Whoever made the recent lock changes failed to maintain the quota code
> > correctly, and you will get a panic on shutdown when it tries to vput()
> > the quota file that isn't being quotaoff()'ed.
>
> I'll take a look at this.  Are you using quotas?

I am, I don't know if he is.

The problem is in the vput in quotaoff for the group quota file
when doing a quotaoff on the user quota file.

Basically, the locking semantics of vget/vput pairings have apparently
become assymetric?

In any case, there is a traversal of the vp's on a mount point
in order to accredit all quota information correctly, and it is
during this traversal that the failur occurs.

This is fairly easy to reproduce; enable user and group quotas,
have the quota files in the / of the FS being quota'ed, and
then do a shutdown.  The panic occurs during shutdown.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.