Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 14:25:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I got 2940UW timeout problem also ... NEWSFLASH conclusion

   Heh. I just installed the _exact_ same card and both drives
into a Gateway 2000 pc that has an AMIBIOS verses the Phoenix
BIOS that is in the DEC pc's that I have so many of.

  Guess what? The darn thing booted up FreeBSD that was on
the SCSI #0 hard disk like it should have.

  Here is another gotcha! Remember the "Read Error" problem I
was having with the Phoneix BIOS? This hard drive had the
patched boot block to deal with it, and with this Gateway/AMIBIOS,
FreeBSD booted properly, it didn't hit my patched code section!

   Good gawlly! These boot/controller cards issues are all in what crummy
BIOS you have on the motherboard!

   Please make mention of that in the FAQ/HARDWARE section. Ugh.

   This makes two ugly, double whammy's solve just by the BIOS/motherboard
combo!

   I'm happy, but the DEC pc's have been soooooooooooo reliable in uptime
and no down time that I hate to abandon them.

   Roger