Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 20:45:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, mike@smith.net.au, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, doconnor@gsoft.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Star Office Installation

> > > My next question is ,
> > > why so many postings about Star Office without a single soul venturing
> > > into the linux layer to solve at least the ipc shared memory segments
> > > clean up?
> > >
> > > Well, lets chat about it some more 8)
> >
> > By definition, shared memory segments are persistant.
> >
> > It would be an error to delete them when the last reference is deleted.
> >
> > This is arguably a design flaw, but being a design flag, there's really
> > nothing you can do about it.
>
> Well, I guess on Linux star office misbehaves by deleting its ipc
> shared data segments when it exits.

No, it doesn't.  But if FreeBSD deleted them on it behalf when
Star Office exited, FreeBSD would be in error.

> Most likely whats going is that we are not handling properly the ipc
> calls or possibly something else which is causing Star Office not
> to delete the ipc shared data segments upon exit.

You mean "shutdown", not "exit".  My point was that SysV IPC is
not resource tracked, and it would be an error for FreeBSD to
resource track it (which is what was being requested).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.