Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:01:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        dufault@hda.com, schilling@fokus.gmd.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord trouble on currnet

>From dufault@hda.hda.com Fri May 29 20:12:29 1998

>> >I'm sure it will be straight forward to hook up to your library.
>>
>> Seems to be interesting, please send me a pointer.

>Only if you promise not to give me trouble about errx - as a FreeBSD
>utility their coding standard says to use that, and when
>in Rome do as the Romans do.

To make it portable, I'll need to replace them with my routines
comerr() comerrno() errmsg() and errmsgno() wich I am using since 1982 -
long before BSD intruduced things like that.

I have no problems with these functions as I believe that it neccessary to
have readable error messages and perror() don't makes good error messages.

The problem that I have with the *BSD functions is that they make the programs
non-portable. *BSD programs are often much better than GNU utilities but no-one
can use them outside BSD.

	I believe the suing with AT&T has been won and there is no need to make
	programs look like they are not from a UNIX system.

	Please:

	-	Put all non standard library extensions into a separate
		libbsd and make this library portable.
		( you may add this library to the default library list of the
		compiler on *BSD so there will be no need to change makefiles)

	-	Make sure that programs don't rely on nonstandard modifications
		of historical UNIX include files if there is a reason to compile
		and run these programs on a non *BSD system ( e.g. it is a non
		BSD kernel specific program).

	-	Write man pages that use the stanmdard UNIX -man macros and not
		non-standard modifications.

>If it is no longer available for anonymous ftp I'll put it up
>here.  I'll get back to you.

I only found /sbin/scsi on the ftp server ... please give me a hint.

P.S.
I believe that the real problem might be that your program comes with a BSD
license while my software comes with GPL.

In any case, it seems to be a good idea to have a combination of a command
line interpreter which allows easy sending of arbitrary commands and a portable
SCSI transport library.

Jörg

       schilling@fokus.gmd.de		(work) chars I am J"org Schilling