Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 05:04:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP support for if_ed, and more...

> On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 12:09:05PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > It's erroneous to use device-specific PnP ID's when the generic
> > fallback ID is available.

But this is not always the case: e.g. the OPTI931 audio card does not
seem to have a fallback ID in the PnP description . So in the end, i
think it is always better to use the specific PnP ID.
My experience with audio cards is that devices are sufficiently
different from each other to require the specific id's.

> > If you need more information on this (ie. you are interested in fixing
> > this) please let me know and I will point you in the appropriate
> > directions.
>
> The problem with this is that that info as far as I could tell isn't
> available through the FreeBSD PnP driver...

right. The current pnp support does not do a full scan of the PnP info,
only reads the vendor_id and serial number of the card. pnpinfo has the
code to extract more infor from the PnP configuration.

But i don't think it is worth the effort to implement a full scan of
the PnP info.  What I think we would really need is a simple
mechanism (perhaps in userconfig) to list vendor_id's known to the
kernel, and map new id's to know ids.

Something like

boot> pnp ls id
     0x3600630e	CS4236
     0x3000a865 Yamaha SA3
     0x3109143e	OPTi931
boot> pnp map 0x3500630e 0x3600630e
boot> pnp ls id
     0x3600630e CS4236
     0x3000a865 Yamaha SA3
     0x3109143e	OPTi931
     0x3500630e --> mapped to 0x3600630e

Wouldn't be too hard to add (just set up a list of id's, to fill up with
DATA_SET in the kenrel, and modify userconfig to add the above
commands), and it is sufficiently flexible  to add new 'compatible'
devices.

> Eivind, who added the original if_ed PnP code (port from sio).

Luigi, who added kernel PnP support :)

	cheers
	luigi