Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:37:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      hans@brandinnovators.com (Hans Zuidam)
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP sequence numbers

> John Polstra wrote:
> In article <199806120831.KAA00529@truk.brandinnovators.com>,
> Hans Zuidam <hans@brandinnovators.com> wrote:
> > For a particularly nasty TCP problem I have with an embedded target
> > I would like to have the ability to always use the same initial
> > sequence number on a particular connection.  It would make it easier
> > to compare tcpdump traces.
> Are you sure?  Tcpdump prints TCP sequence numbers in relative form,
> relative to the initial one, unless you give it the "-S" option.  Your
> traces should match already, except for the initial packet from each
> side.
But the other side cannot "tcpdump", it's an embedded system from
which I can only get absolute sequence numbers ;-(  Also, trpt(8)
dumps it's sequence numbers in abosolute (hex) numbers, that's easy
to change.

It's probably easier to have TCP use the same initial sequence
number instead of modifying other programs.  To add predictable
sequence numbers I am thinking to add a TCP option for setsockopt(3)
to set an initial sequence number.  Maybe a sysctl could be added
to turn the feature globally on or off.

Regards,
					Hans

--
H. Zuidam                        E-Mail: hans@brandinnovators.com
Brand Innovators B.V.            P-Mail: P.O. Box 1377