Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 21:11:07 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>, spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended SCSI Drives

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 11:29:36AM -0600, Atipa wrote:

> > Our new build is most likely going to be a CalPC minitower, and I need to
> > cram four drives and a CMD RAID controller in there, which takes one of
> > the 5 1/4 slots up front.  The case is nice, it has vents available for
> > the front mount drives, the whole side of the case comes off easily, and
> > you can slide the whole mobo cage out the back.  What I really need now is
> > a small "drive cage" to mount on the bottom for a few more drives...
>
> Insist on ATX form factor, and a case that has (2) fans in addition to the
> fan inside the PS. Our ATX Full Tower fits the bill, and has gobs of drive
> space. The extra hieght will also aid in airflow and dissipation.
>
> Use an external SCSI enclosure on all 7200 and abov RPM drives, especially
> if using a faster P2 system. The P2-400 is a toaster. In need heatsinks on
> the CPU, the BX Chipset, the AGP chipset, and the VRM. That will be hot
> inside even w/o drives.

I just bought a Supermicro SC 750A case. It has 3 possible fans in the front,
1 extra fan in the back, a temp controlled fan above the ATX cpu position
and 2 fans mounted on the side of the 6 5.25" HH slots. Very nice case,
has only one problem, they made the IO face plate opening not standard.
They included faces plates for the more common boards, but for the Intel
DK440LX not. And the face plate Intel gives, doesn't fit.

I talked with them, they are supposely fixing it and are sending me
a fitting face plate.

> Kevin

Ulf.