Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:10:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec and Linux

> Did anyone see the announcement from Adaptec?

>From Adaptec or Red Hat?  I saw the Red Hat one.

> They are going to have more help for Linux developers. Can the
> FreeBSD community somehow benefit from this?

Adaptec isn't dense.  They know full well where all of the aic7xxx
driver development is going on and have offered direct support to
me as well as the Linux devlopers porting my code.  The stuff in
the Red Hat announcement makes me laugh though.  They make it sound
like having Adaptec on their side will solve all of their problems.
Support from Adaptec is greatly appreciated, but 95% of the
instability problems in the Linux driver can be traced to the
mid-level SCSI code.  Unless Adaptec funds the rewrite of the Linux
SCSI layer, no amount of Adaptec provided source code will help
them.  I'm still waiting for Adaptec to release sequencer source
code (something that the technical marketing people are fighting
for) which should aid in working around the aic7880 Rev. B chip
problem, but as I've mentioned before, moving to the Adaptec CHIM
code would actually reduce the performance of our driver.  Adaptec
sent me a sequencer design document which verrified that they use
a simple SCB management scheme that doesn't fully utilize the
capabilities of their chips.

--
Justin