Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:31:18 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>, dg@root.com
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk, dima@best.net, abc@ralph.ml.org, tqbf@secnet.com
Subject:   Re: bsd securelevel patch question

On Jul 2,  5:54am, "Allen Smith" wrote:
> On Jul 2,  1:55am, David Greenman (possibly) wrote:
> >    Well, someone will have to convince me that delegating access on a port
> > by port basis is necessary in the first place. I'd personally be happy with
> > a simple privilege that allows binding to ports <1024.
>
> instead of setuid). Now, run a program via cron on a very frequent
> basis that tries binding to the smtp, ssh, or other significant port
> not run through inetd. This enables mail interception for smtp,
> password interception for ssh, etcetera. With the exception of a

Eh?  If ssh/smtp/inetd bind to the port you won't be able to, no
matter how often you try.  And you won't be able to steal keys
by hijacking sshd.

I still agree with you for other reasons though, if an attacker
creates a new service people might use it even though it isn't a
legitimate service setup my the sysadmin.

Whats wrong with a /dev/socket/tcp/XYZ acl type scheme?  If the
process has permission to read /dev/socket/tcp/83 then they can
bind to port 83, you could make it a procfs type filesystem so all
the ACL information was in memory for speed.  Then you've got to
save/restore state though.

Niall

--
Niall Smart.        PGP: finger njs3@motmot.doc.ic.ac.uk