Date:      Sun, 05 Jul 1998 13:16:19 -0400
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        lynch@rush.net (P Lynch), wes@softweyr.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning user's OS (was: Here is a really odd question!!!)

> 	--I haven't seen the  Fisher-Price CD's yet, thanks for the
> 	tip, Wes.  There are scores of these for young and older
> 	children, but which are good (or better) and which not is
> 	one those cosmic mysteries.  ...Or then again, I just may
> 	not have found the right magazine(s).

Is it time for freebsd-kids or freebsd-toys yet? :-)

> 	Whenever you find LOGO for FBSD, I'd like to check it out,
> 	Pat.  I heard of it years ago, but that's it.  It'd be nice
> 	to have some tools to cobble together an environment that
> 	Allyson could play with on this platform.  Not be totally
>  	infected by dos.

There is the ucblogo-3.3. in ports/lang/logo.  I haven't
played with it in ages so no idea how it has evolved but it
does have X windows interface.  MSWLogo is the one I like.
Con: it only works on M$ Windows.  Pros: It is based on
ucblogo; its author, George Mills, has put in a heck of a lot
of work especially in supporting multimedia.  it is fairly
easy to make it play music/sound, do animation etc.  It comes
with a demo that has a nice set of examples for doing many of
these things.  Check out
    http://www.softronix.com
and
    ftp://cher.media.mit.edu/pub/logo/software

The same can be done in the FreeBSD world now that it has
such good multimedia support.