Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 00:19:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   soft updates, ccd, old drives

I'm not sure which part to blame, so just read it and make
your own conclusion.

I built the soft-updates kernel, and installed world last night.

Then, I've decided to try it on my little ccd array (I did remove
the async mount option first). The array consists of four disks:

	sd2: <CONNER CP30540 545MB3.5 B0BD> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
	sd3: <CONNER CP30540 545MB3.5 B0BC> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
	sd4: <CONNER CP30540 545MB3.5 AFBA> type 0 fixed SCSI 2
	sd6: <CONNER CP30540 545MB3.5 AFBA> type 0 fixed SCSI 2

they are on a dual bus Adaptec :

	ahc0: <Adaptec aic7770 SCSI host adapter> at 0x9c00-0x9cff irq 10
	ahc0: on eisa0 slot 9
	ahc0: Using Level Sensitive Interrupts
	ahc0: aic7770 <= Rev C, Twin Channel, A SCSI Id=7, B SCSI Id=7, 4 SCBs
	ahc0: Resetting Channel B
	ahc0: Resetting Channel A
	ahc0: Downloading Sequencer Program...ahc0: 376 instructions downloaded

two on one bus and two on the other.

First weirdness is that kernel said "ffs_mountfs: superblock updated"
every time I mounted my /ccd . It does not say that if I disable
soft updates, so I report it.

Now, `cd /ccd/ports; make clean' was working just fine (that's my
place for the ports-tree). But extracting anything was hanging one
disk or the other: with kernel messages about sd[46] "timeout in
dataout" or similar.  This would not respond to ctrl-alt-del, and,
though the shells were working in other virtual consoles, they
could not execute anything, including "reboot". So -- cold reset
to the horrible fsck screenfulls.

Hardware, I thought -- the poor old disks were never pushed that
hard with the simple async mounts. So I grabbed the EISA floppy and
set the maximum transfer rate from 8Mbps to the minimum 3.7Mbps.

Same hangs, although this time there were no "timeout" messages
on the console.

I gave up, and disabled soft updates on /ccd (why is the tunefs
option `-n'? did anyone notice, that the character 'n' is not even
used in "soft updates"!). Since then, I successfully extracted
XFree86 and gcc28 ports, and am currently building the gcc28
without problems.

My conclusion is, that something in Soft Updates and CCD combination
is wrong, which was hanging AND causing the disks to be pushed
hard. After I took the maximum transfer rate down, the disks were
not pushed as hard, so -- no timeouts, but the hangs were still here.

This is a debug kernel and I have a corresponding kernel.debug.
If someone wants me, I can try different things here to try to
resolve this.

Yours,

	-mi