Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:27:26 -0700
From:      "Chris Csanady" <cc@tarsier.ca.sandia.gov>
To:        Matthew Patton <patton@sysnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: living without PROCFS

>Is there any way to eliminate the use of procfs from -current? I discovered
>what happens when you leave it out of the kernel config file. Or is /proc a
>really useful device that is for now and forevermore "standard"? It used to
>be, that there existed all sorts of security problems with PROCFS. Notably
>on slowaris.

Well without procfs, you are stuck with groveling through kmem.  Kmem is a
terrible interface for this type of thing, as it requires a recompile of
many utilites when the kernel structures change.  It is arguable much more
dangerous as well, since it requires access to all of kernel memory.

Procfs (and the like) provide a much cleaner interface, and will probably
stick around for a good long time.  If anything, the use of kmem for this
type of thing should go away altogether.

Chris