Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 22:32:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@Boolean.Net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAM on a -current branch

In article <35AA3D71.84F37A20@Boolean.Net> you wrote:
> I've been attempting to construct a decent source combining
> -current of mid-May (5/13, 5/19, or 5/20) with CAM source available
> via ftp.freebsd.org.   Given the problems with build/install world of
> mid-May
> and not knowing the exact time the CAM source was based upon, it's damn
> near impossible.   Figure I'll just wait out the next CAM snapshot.

I'm open to ideas on this front.  The snapshot that was released today
is available in diff format and, as soon as my release build completes,
as a fully installable release.  We could certainly provide a full
src tree tar ball too if you think it would be useful.

> It appears that more and more folks are now running CAM (namely for
> support of newer devices like the AIC-7895 and overall SCSI stability).
> I would think it would be wise to check the source into the repository
> (on a branch of -current).   This should would make life easier for the
> testers and users of this fine software.   It might even make life
> easier for developers (as they would have to rely on folks doing the
> merge correctly).

Putting the code onto a CVS branch would help the developers very little.
We would likely still perform all of our development in our local
Perforce repository and only perform branch merges and updates in the
CVS repository on the interval of the current snapshots.  I'm as antsy
as the next guy for getting CAM into the main tree, but I only want
to do so once we have the basic functionality in place and aren't changing
the code on a daily basis.  This should happen before 3.0 and when the
appropriate time does come, we will first place the code on a branch,
shake it out, then pull it into current.

> I'll be running CAM+CCD+Softupdates...  hopefully it won't be that
> interesting.

Softupdates on a reasonably fast disk under CAM seems to wedge machines
here.  There have been other reports of CCD having similar effects.

--
Justin