Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:13:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Henry Vogt <henry@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, alk@pobox.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of current...

> >> I was wondering if something was wrong, too.  I haven't had this
> >> particular problem, but I've had a number of processes, including
> >> Emacs, hang in select after VisibilityNotify events, unable to update
> >> their displays.  It's nothing enough to be sure that anything's wrong,
> >> but enough to be noticable.  I'm rebuilding with the latest -current
> >> (as of about 2 hours ago), and will try again.
> >
> > I've seen this problem too.
>
> It still seems to be there with the latest -current.
>
> Greg
> --

Yes, i'm running SMP 3.0-Current here and there are at least two more
essential programs (xdvi and gv) with this very problems..
Someone on the list mentioned a few days ago using DISPLAY=localhost:0.0,
instead simply :0.0, seems to help and indeed, xdvi and gv are working again
here.

So this appears to me like a new introduced bug in the shared memory handling?
(Or am I wrong that the difference between :0.0 and <hostname>:0.0 is the way
IPC between X-Server and -Client ist handled ?)
Has something substantially been changed there, about 2 weeks ago ?

Henry

--
//
// Do you suffer from long term memory loss ? I don't remember:-(